Blog - Commercial
MOVING OFFICE? HERE ARE SOME TIPS FOR A SMOOTH MOVE …
Moving office can be a daunting task – from finding a new space and installing a fit out, to packing and moving equipment – but there are a few things you can do help make the transition as smooth as possible.
FINDING THE PERFECT NEW SPOT
The first step is to find the perfect space for your business. Consider:
- Whether you should lease or buy a space
- How much space you’ll need (the Building Code of Australia requires a minimum of 10 sqm per person)
- The most suitable location
- Whether there are transport options close by
- Whether you’ll need parking, a board room or meeting rooms
- What you’re looking for in terms of common areas. Do you need a lift, lobby or staff kitchen?
OPTIMISING THE NEW SPACE
A new office can transform your workplace. It can inspire creativity and collaboration, attract and retain the best talent and give your clients an insight into who you are and how you operate. So, how you use the space is key. Consider:
- Whether you want an open plan office or individual offices
- The signage that you’ll need to help market your brand
- Whether you’ll need council approval or permits for your development plans
- Whether your fit out is running according to schedule and within budget
Note: If you opt for an open plan office you should also consider other issues such as the lack of privacy and the style (e.g. cubicle, half partitions or one large open space) that will suit your business best.
Moving office is a good investment, but it can be a costly one. Don’t get caught off guard by hidden costs – use these helpful ideas to plan your move and stick to your budget.
- Get at least three written quotes for each part of your project
- Consider equipment finance options (for things like computers, printers and even moving trucks) to improve cash flow and working capital
- If you’re planning on buying a property, learn about property finance or get some professional advice
Though some can be easier to understand than others, a typical leasing contract is over 70 pages long and jam packed with legal jargon. So, before you sign a commercial agreement, get some legal advice so that you fully understand your rights and obligations as a tenant. Ask yourself:
- How long the lease is and whether there are any options to extend
- What the conditions for rent review are
- Whether outgoings are included in the monthly rental rate
- What the ‘make good’ clause in your agreement really means for your business
When it’s time for the big move – whether you’re moving down the street or across town – you’ll want to make sure that your office equipment is kept safe and that you’re as organised as possible. Here’s a final checklist moving day:
- Get packing early and make storage areas your priority
- Make arrangements for moving IT equipment and furniture
- Ask staff to do their bit by packing up their desks and common areas such as the kitchen and reception
- Have a moving day schedule and don’t forget to add a three-day buffer!
Remember, moving an office is like moving house – there are bound to be roadblocks along the way that are totally beyond your control. But with a bit of careful thought and planning, you should be able to get it over and done with as quickly and smoothly as possible.