News Blog - Lifestyle
10 THINGS TO DO ON A RAINY DAY IN SYDNEY
Wet weather can really put a dampener on weekend plans. Luckily there’s more to do on a rainy day than staying at home watching Netflix.
So, this weekend, ditch the couch and check out one of our top rainy day picks!
1) Visit an art gallery – seek shelter in one of Sydney’s beloved art galleries. Top picks include the White Rabbit Gallery, the Art Gallery of NSW, the Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA), Brett Whiteley Studio, Artspace and 2 Danks Street. And, if art’s not your thing, why not hit a museum – like the Powerhouse Museum or Australian Museum – instead?
2) Stay dry, underwater – get up close and personal with sharks, dugongs, rays and tropical fish at Sydney Aquarium. Or experience the giant 4 million-litre oceanarium at Manly Sea Life Sanctuary.
3) Catch a flick – going to the movies is a great way to spend a rainy day. Catch an arthouse film at Orpheum Picture Palace, enjoy a gourmet vegetarian meal and an award-winning movie at Govinda’s Restaurant and Cinema, or delight in an international film at Palace Norton Street.
4) Laugh the rain away – have a laugh at one of the Comedy Store’s hilarious comedy events. Located at Fox Studios, this venue features some of the best comedians from Australia and around the world.
5) Choose to get wet while staying warm – there’s nothing quite like a heated pool to cure your rainy-day blues. Try Sutherland Leisure Centre, Annette Kellerman Aquatic Centre or Sydney Olympic Park Aquatic Centre – great for adults and kids of all ages!
6) Hit one of Sydney’s intimate bars – stay warm and hang with friends at a cosy Sydney bar like the Different Drummer (Glebe), the Lobo Plantation (Sydney), Baxter’s Inn (Sydney), or the Cricketers Arms Hotel (Surry Hills). Or, grab some award-winning pub grub at the Welcome Hotel (Rozelle), the Four in Hand Hotel (Paddington) or the Unicorn Hotel (Paddington).
7) Cook up a storm in the storm – learn how to grill, roast, fry, poach or bake at one of Sydney’s famous cooking schools (like Seafood School at the Sydney Fish Market or Sydney Cooking School), or get pickling at Cornersmith (Marrickville). And, if you’re looking to keep the kids busy, you can hit Brasserie Bread’s free Saturday baking classes!
8) Embrace your inner child – turn a gloomy day into a fun one and unleash your inner child at an indoor activity centre like SkyZone, Laser Tag or Strike Bowling!
9) Shop till you drop – shop your way from Town Hall to Pitt Street without getting wet, hit a Westfield Shopping centre (like Bondi Junction, Burwood, Parramatta or Warringah Mall) or take a wander through the beautiful Queen Victoria Building.
10) Sweat it out – don’t let your health take a back seat in the rain. Get an all-round workout in at one of Sydney’s CrossFit studios, or stay warm and limber up with Bikram yoga.